The importance of the outside environment in the daily life of your child.
"The land is where our roots are. The children must be taught to feel and live with the Earth" - Maria Montessori
Maria Montessori said the two things necessary for raising peaceful human beings were an awareness of interdependence and a sense of gratitude that comes with that awareness. The outside environment is the perfect teacher! Not only can the outdoors be a place of beauty, peace and tranquillity, but it can also inspire exploration and learning. An awareness and appreciation for the natural world is essential if children are to feel empowered to be the next caretakers of the planet.
Everything in the universe is interdependent and precious: the sun, the stars, the moon, the planets, the air, the oceans, the forests, the animals and insects, and it is up to all of us to look after them.
This can seem a daunting task, even to most adults! Starting with small steps, children be agents of change and inspire their wider family, friends and local communities to be both kinder to the earth and each other.
Here are some ideas for you to try with your children.
- Vegetable or herb garden: plant an edible garden.
- Worm farms & composting: recycle fruit and vegetable scraps and feed the garden.
- Recycling: old yogurt pottles, salad containers and egg cartons make great seedling trays
- Star Gazing: We are part of the Universe. See first-hand how light and air pollution around cities affects our ability to see the stars and planets.
- Walk, bike or scooter to school: this is great exercise, reduces air pollution and lets you and your children observe nature, seasons and weather and your local community at the same time.
- Lunches: most unprocessed foods, eg. fruit come in their own packing! Reduce & reuse packaging and don’t forget to feed any leftover fruit or vegetables to the compost.
- Go Native! Find out and plant species that are native to your area. These plants will attract native creatures such as butterflies, spiders and birds and make your environment a much more interesting place.
- Conserve water: you’ll need to share it with your garden!
- Invite your community in. By sharing your special space you will inspire others to be caretakers of the planet too!
“Your own soul is nourished when you are kind.” Proverbs 11:17
Every Educaid has a huge collection of equipment, resource material and books that allow children to observe, identify, collect, order, classify and study the natural world. Check them out under ‘Living World’ & ‘Planet Earth & Beyond’ in our science section.